Having discussed Sirona’s requirements at a workshop session, we took the somewhat unconventional route of developing the Intranet in the WordPress content management system, rather than a dedicated Intranet tool like SharePoint. This allowed us to concentrate on the content and the users, rather than on software and features, resulting in a user-friendly, aesthetically pleasing site – qualities not often found in corporate Intranets!
Sirona were very keen to engage with their staff, and to encourage them to interact with each other. They wanted the site to have a community feel that reflects the organisation’s ethos. To support this we developed a range of ways for users to share their own content, including blogs, event calendars and photo galleries. We are planning to expand this by developing a forum to allow direct communication between staff.
- We integrated with Sirona’s Active Directory to ensure that user’s credentials continued to provide single sign on to all IT infrastructure.
- A powerful search engine was implemented using Apache SOLR. This provides fast, relevant results and allows staff to filter across multiple facets.
- A modular content framework was developed to allow staff to create complex pages that have a consistent look and feel, without the need of specialist web skills.
- A workflow was created to match the organisational needs – staff can author and update pages before passing them to a manager for approval and publishing.
- The site is fully responsive and looks great on large desktop monitors, tablet computers and smart phones. It’s also fully functional in Internet Explorer 7, which is used by staff across the site.
We’ve received some great feedback from Sirona’s staff on the ground – those using the system every day: “The website looks fantastic”, “It’s brilliant!!”, “Great new Intranet”, “The look and feel of the new Intranet is excellent – a world away from the terrible old thing we had before.”
The project team are also delighted, both that the site looks fantastic and that the project was successfully delivered on time and on budget.
“Thank you for all your help over the past couple of months, you have done an excellent job. You’ve also put in the extra hours which is much appreciated. We will have no reservations in recommending Storm.”
- Danny Swift, Project Co-ordinator